All Around SKA: Concerns of Underclassmen

Shana Furman and Michal Hammer

*This article expresses the similar experiences of some Freshmen.

Coming in as a freshman can be very scary. Freshman year is a new start for everyone. Coming from an elementary school where there isn’t as much work, and then going to high school and having more work then you are used to and a lot more studying can be extremely difficult.

On the first day of high school, I was so nervous. I didn’t know what to expect.  How was I going to make this change of having so much more work? Would I make friends? The first few weeks of high school were difficult. Having homework on the first night of school was a complete shock to me.

As time went on, though, I got more comfortable with school and the amount of work and studying there is. Coming into high school, everyone is looking to make new friends. At first it can be very scary to put yourself out there and try to make friends, and honestly, it can be very awkward. It definitely takes time to find the perfect friend group for you and to find your place in the school.

Going in, I didn’t think I would even make any new friends, though I was hoping to meet new people. But I definitely did not think for a second, coming into school, that I would ever be friends with whom I am friends with now. I had lots of friends from my previous school who I loved, and I didn’t know what to expect coming in to this new place. I discovered that the girls in our grade are super warm, fun and caring, and in school, you always feel like you have someone to talk to.

Also, between all of the GLA’s, teachers and school guidance counselors, there is always someone there for you when you just need to chat. All in all, the beginning of freshman year has been one crazy ride, but everyday it gets better and better.