Doodling in Class is Actually Good for Students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Michal Zelmanovitz, Associate Editor

We constantly are told, since our early education years, to focus on the teacher and not draw. In some cases, we actually are yelled or punished by a teacher for doodling in class.

Personally for me, I am a big doodler. I doodle constantly. I have ADHD so I have to do something in class. My options are doodling or talking to my peers, so doodling is the perfect thing to cope with my ADHD. However, I am often rebuked or punished by teachers for it.

Teachers claim it’s destructive and disrupts students from fully learning. Teachers think doodling is a mind vacation from the rather un-entertaining class. I wanted to challenge this, to see if that is really true. After doing some research, I have discovered that doodling is actually part of an intricate thinking method that helps students process information.

In fact, an experiment conducted in 2009 concluded that doodling helps the listener’s memory. The experiment, run by psychologist Jackie Andrade, had 40 people listen to a dull voice message. Half doodled and the offer half did not doodle while listening to the voice message. Unaware they would be tested on their memories after listening, the group that doodled recalled 29% more information than the group that did not doodle.

In conclusion, doodling helps the listener process and retain information. Doodling does not just help process and retain information, but is also

a major stress reliever. Many researchers have proven that doodling is a meditative act that relieves stress and improves focus.  Doodling is the key to the unconscious of our minds which is relieving to empty out. Not just students doodle, many adults do too. 

In fact, 24 of our presidents have had a habit of doodling. Doodling really is a helpful tool that should not be regarded in a bad light by teachers. I hope that someday doodling will be encouraged rather than oppressed.